Starting today, the jury of a New York court in its deliberations on the process of Joaquin Guzman (61), the Mexican drug lord known as ‘El Chapo’. Guzman, who terechtstaat as head of the infamous Sinaloa-drug cartel, risking a life in prison.
The trial against El Chapo – which means ‘short’ – took 11 weeks. During that period, the jury heard, the jury more than 50 witnesses, an insight offered into how the infamous Mexican drug cartel to work.
According to the prosecutors, was El Chapo, as head of the extensive network of Sinaloa cartel, responsible for trafficking tons of cocaine, heroin, marijuana and methamphetamines to the United States. He loved according to the accusations of his empire with a firm hand in position, in which he not shrink from opponents relentlessly to turn it off.
During the process, and dived repeatedly unsavory details about the life of Guzman. So he would also be guilty to the rape of a young drugged teens. One of the most explosive testimonies was that of Alex Cifuentes Villa, a Colombian drug lord from 2007 to 2013, working closely with El Chapo. Who declared that the Mexican ex-president Enrique Peña Nieto, a lump sum of 100 million dollars would have accepted to the raid on Guzman to strike.
Hundreds of thousands of pages of evidence and more than 100,000 sound recordings were brought to all the accusations. That translated ultimately in seventeen indictments for drug trafficking, bendevorming, conspiracy to murder and money laundering during a criminal career that more than a quarter of a century spans.
During that time, El Chapo has several times arrested and imprisoned. He knew, however, two times in a spectacular way to escape, from what maximum security Mexican prisons were supposed to be. The first time by himself in the laundry basket of the prison to hide from it, the second time by through a hole in his cell, a tunnel to reach more than a kilometer long. After his umpteenth arrest in Mexico, three years ago, sought and obtained the U.S. a year later, his expulsion to a high security prison in Manhattan (New York). Mexico delivered him from a neighbor of America as there in seven states charges against him walked.
According to the defence is El Chapo, however, is a scapegoat that the attention should be distracted from the real boss of the Sinaloa cartel, Ismael ” El Mayo’ Zambada, who is still on the run.
No death penalty
The names of the seven women and five men of the jury, the court in Brooklyn, New York, which is now about the fate of El Chapo have to decide are not released for security reasons. If they have him guilty, and risking El Chapo –that innocent advocates – for life. The death penalty can he not get it, that was one of the conditions that Mexico asked for his extradition.
More than a quarter century of cat-and-mouse
- 1993: Is on the run after an assassination attempt busted at the border with Guatemala. El Chapo buys guards and sends his cartel further from the cell.
- 2001: a Few days before his scheduled extradition to the US escaping, he hid in a load of dirty laundry after he guards has bribed.
- 2014: Is in the resort town of Mazatlán on the west coast of Mexico was arrested after being engaged for days in tunnels hidden.
- 2015: Escaped from a strengbewaakte Mexican prison, along a 10 meter deep and 1.5 km long tunnel through minions is dug and is released under the shower of El Chapo’s cell. The tunnel is equipped with a ventilation system and air stairs.
- 2016: after a shooting in the city of Los Mochis, in his home state of Sinaloa, was arrested. The drugsbaas attempting to flee through a sewer, but marines can arrest him while he was in a car tries to drive away. They are able to track him down after the actor Sean Penn him for Rolling Stone interviewed.
- 2017: Mexico gives El Chapo on 19 January to the United States.