The belgian Stoffel Vandoorne finished the GP of Japan as the fifteenth, just behind team-mate Fernando Alonso. Of on the nineteenth place on the grid was that, according to Vandoorne today the maximum achievable.
“It was not a great race for us,” begins Vandoorne are looking back on the race. “It was quite difficult during the beginning of the race and there was no possibility of resistance to offer against the faster cars. We were more or less passengers on the straight.”
Fortunately for Vandoorne was the end of the race a lot better. During that stage of the race was Vandoorne in McLaren a lot more competitive.
“At the end of the race everything went a lot better and we managed to have a few cars purely on speed to beat. With the bandendegradatie who was there we managed to a strategy with one pit stop to make it work. We managed to get a few cars to catch up and behind us.”
“I think this is more or less the maximum achievable was today,” decided Vandoorne.
More F1 news on F1journaal.be:
- “My race was over when Verstappen me hit”
- Hamilton after victory: “The title is not yet within”
- VIDEO: Collision Verstappen and Vettel during the GP of Japan
- Vettel: “Verstappen left me no room”
- Max Verstappen on the podium: “Punishment was not justified”