The candidacy of ex-rebel leader Jean-Pierre Bemba for the presidential elections in the Congo is inadmissible. That says the election commission on Friday.
The election commission rejected the candidacy of Bemba, one of the tenors of the opposition to Congolese president Joseph Kabila, because of his ‘conviction by the International criminal Court’. The Icc said Bemba in June in an occupation freely for war crimes, after ten years in the cell had spent. The criminal Court in The Hague convicted him in first instance in June 2016 still to eighteen years in prison for the atrocities that his militia in the Central African Republic from 2002 to 2003, have committed.
The ex-rebel leader, was vice president in a transitional government from 2003 to 2006. He is chairman of the liberation movement of Congo (MLC), the second largest opposition party in the parliament. After his acquittal he made last month for a triumphant return in Kinshasa.
The election commission had on Friday a provisional list publishing of candidates who are allowed to participate in the presidential and parliamentary elections. Possible is Bemba not the last excluded of the elections, scheduled for 23 december.
Shortly before the announcement of the election commission had the entire opposition against president Joseph Kabila called for a ‘general mobilization’. They accused the established power of it some candidates to want to exclude.
“The political opposition is demanding that mr Kabila and his political family-the kiesproces fairly smoothly, or to stop the to influence the election commission’, it sounds in the press release, signed by Bemba, leader of the opposition in exile, Moïse Katumbi, and Félix Tshisekedi.