Kendrick Lamar is nominated for a World Soundtrack Award with his title song for ‘Black Panther’.
Hip hop is the most popular music genre in the world and you hear it in the cinema. A good barometer are the World Soundtrack Awards that each year at Film Fest Gent will be presented. For the first time is a pure rap number nominated: ‘Black panther’ from Kendrick Lamar, which he wrote for the eponymous film, is nominated as best song.
In that category dived over the past few years more artists from the wider world of the (popular) hip hop and r&b such as Pharrel Williams ‘Runnin’ (“Hidden figures”) and Happy (‘Despicable me 2’), or Glory by John Legend and Common (‘Selma’). This year also Common a nominated song: ‘Stand up for something’ out ‘Marshall’, a film that is not with us in the halls came out.
The deceased nominated
One other notable nominee is Jóhann Jóhannsson. The Icelandic composer of ’Sicario’ and ’The theory of everything’ died on February 9, 2018, just 48 years old, but was still quite a bit of soundtracks. He was also nominated as best composer of the year with five soundtracks. Of those five films was only ‘The mercy’ is already out in our country. Only the notorious veelschrijver Alexandre Desplat-term as many soundtracks together. For him to be better-known, larger titles such as ‘Isle of dogs’ and ‘The shape of water’.
In addition to the outstanding soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood on ‘Phantom thread’ is also an old greatness like John Williams of the party, with music by the latest ‘Star wars’ and ‘The post’, 28th collaboration with Steven Spielberg.
The nominees are chosen by a group of 183 professionals, collected in the WSAcademy. The general public can determine who this year’s audience award win. The awards will be presented on 17 October at the Capitole, Ghent.
Nominated for ‘Best film’
- Carter Burwell ‘Goodbye Christopher Robin’; ‘Three billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Alexandre Desplat ‘Endangered species’; ‘Isle of dogs’; ‘Suburbicon’; ‘The shape of water’; ‘Valerian and the cty of a thousand planets’
- Jonny Greenwood ‘Phantom thread’
- Jóhann Jóhannsson ‘Last and first men’;‘Mandy’; ‘Mary Magdalene’ (Hildur Guðnadóttir); ‘The butcher, the whore and the one-eyed man’; ‘The mercy’
- John Williams ‘Star Wars: The last Jedi’; ‘The Post’
Nominated for ‘Best tv composer
- Volker Bertelmann ‘Gunpowder’ (as Hauschka); ‘Patrick Melrose’ (as Hauschka)
- Ramin Part of ‘Game of Thrones’ (S7); ‘The strain’ (S4); ‘Westworld’ (S2)
- Rupert Gregson-Williams ‘The Alienist’ (S1); ‘The crown’ (S2, with Lorne Balfe)
- Mac Quayle 9-1-1 (S1, Todd Haberman); ‘American crime story: The assassination or Gianni Versace’; ‘American horror story’ (S7); ” Mr. Robot (S3); The ‘Pose’ (S1)
- Adam Taylor ‘Damnation’ (S1); ‘The handmaid’s tale ” (S2)
Nominees for ‘Best original song written for a film’
- “Black Panther “Black Panther”
- Music & text by Kendrick Lamar, ea. Performed by Kendrick Lamar.
- ‘Never Forget’ from “Murder on the Orient Express”
- Music of Patrick Doyle. Text by Kenneth Branagh
- Performed by Michelle Pfeiffer
- ‘Remember Me’ “Coco”
- Music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez. Performed by Benjamin Bratt
- “Stand up for Something” “Marshall”
- Music of Diane Warren. Text by Diane Warren and Common.
- Performed by Andra Day ft. Common
- ‘This is me’ “The greatest showman”
- The text and music of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- Performed by Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble