The Belgian film “Girl” by Lukas Dhont is one of ten films selected for the Lux film prize 2018. The 10 finalists for the edition of 2018 were announced yesterday during the International film Festival Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic. “Girl” is based on a true story about Lara, a 15-year-old girl born as a boy, who dreams to star dancer. In may got the picture already the prestigious “Camera d’or” during the Cannes film festival.
Through the Lux film prize supports the European Parliament film as a way to stimulate the debate over values and social issues to encourage. The ten nominees are both films that are already a lot of attention at major film festivals and small national releases. They are very diverse, but have one thing in common: they reflect the problems that our societies face. Topics such as immigration, populism, nationalism, globalization, war, religion, and justice are central. It is the first time that two of the ten films documentaries (“The Other Side of Everything”, “The Silence of Others”).
The other nominated films are:
– “Border/Gräns” Ali Abbassi (Sweden, Denmark)
– “Donbass” Sergei Loznitsa (Germany, France, Ukraine, Netherlands, Romania)
– “Happy as Lazzaro/ Lazzaro felice” by Alice Rohrwacher (Italy, Switzerland, France, Germany)
– “Mosquito/Twarz” of Malgorzata Szumovska (Poland)
– “Styx” by Wolfgang Fischer (Germany, Austria)
– “The Other Side of Everything/Druga Strana svega” by Mila Turajlic (Serbia, France, Qatar)
– “The Silence of Others /El silencio de los otros” by Almudena Carracedo and Bahar Robet (Spain, USA)
– “U_July 22/Utøya 22.July,” Erik Pope (Norway)
– “Woman at War/Kona fer í stríd” by Benedikt Erlingsson (Iceland, France, Ukraine)
At the end of July, three of the ten films are selected for the short list. Who will be announced at a press conference during the Giornate degli Authorities in Rome. The three films will then be in the autumn subtitled and will be shown in all EU countries during the LUX film days. The winner will be chosen by the members of the Parliament and the award ceremony will take place in the plenary meeting in Strasbourg, on november 14, 2018. But also the audience is in the choice involved. During the LUX film days can the spectators on their favorite votes among the three finalists. Last year, the audience award to “Sami Blood” by director Amanda Kernell.