Thursday the Security council of the United Nations for the first time decided to human traffickers on his black list. This contains only the toughest international criminals, such as the intimates of violent dictators and the people responsible for genocide. Their bank accounts are frozen and they may not travel.
For the Netherlands, which took the initiative for the resolution, the sanctions are an important step to ‘migrants from the deadly crossing to Italy. That says Foreign minister Stef Blok. “This is a first step to the business model of the smugglers to destroy it and the lives of the migrants that are sold on slavenmarkten, to improve.”
The names that will now be called, are not unknown. It comes to four Libyans, a Eritreeër and an Ethiopian. Mussab Abugrein (a.k.a. doctor Mussab) state, according to reports by the Security council at the head of a network in Libya that ramifications in England, Belgium and Germany. Ahmed Dabbashi (also known as al-Amu, or ‘the uncle’) was already in The Standard is described as the smokkelkoning of the Libyan coast. His network put hundreds of thousands of Africans in boats to Europe. All-Amu was a ‘warlord’ who last summer suddenly stopped smuggling on control of the Italian secret service (DS 30/8/17).
Tortured and murdered
Also the infamous Abdulrahman Milad (aka al-Bija) came in the picture for those secret deals. He is the commander of the regional coast guard of Zawiya and is accused of ‘structural violence against migrants and other people smugglers’. A film crew from Vice News said al-Bija: “If I already have a smuggler was, no one would be able to stop it. Here is no functioning government.’ The fourth Libiër, Mohammad Kushlav (al-Kasb), check the department stores in Zawiya where migrants are locked up, tortured, and sometimes even cold-blooded murdered. According to sources in Libya deserves al-Kasb money especially if oliesmokkelaar, rather than with migration.
Also the two sanctioned East Africans are the big names in the Libyan underworld. The Ethiopian Ermias Ghermay by the Security council described as one of the important pawns in a transnational network that refugees from the horn of Africa to Libya transports. He is considered responsible for the bootramp in 2013 which resulted in the death of 366 migrants. The Italian newspaper La Stampa, wrote in 2015 that Ghermay in two years time, 100 million euros had earned and enjoyed a luxurious life in Tripoli. Also the Eritreeër Fitwi Abdelrazak is the world has become with migration from the horn of Africa to Libya. He is linked to at least two deadly shipwrecks in 2014.
Or the sanctions on them will stop, it is absolutely not sure. In Libya raging since the Arab Spring and a brutal civil war and there is lawlessness. Moreover, it is not clear who the six men are still in control of the smuggling. So is Ahmed Dabbashi since October last year, expelled from Sabratha and he has to have control over the beaches lost. He been trying since February to come back.
“It sends a strong signal to the illegal smokkelnetwerken: that their activity is monitored and will not be tolerated,” says Mark Micallef. He is a Libya expert from the Global Initiative Against Organised Crime and knows the terrain well. “The six men control a substantial part of the Libyan smokkelnetwerken, but the interpretation of the Security council is not true always and is outdated. As the two East Africans not leaders, but they work for the Libyans.’ Micallef himself has yet interviews with kustwachtcommandant al-Bija. “That his name is on the list ended up, is the biggest surprise. He is primarily a militieleider that more land will gather.’