MELBOURNE – A university in Melbourne is Saturday evacuated due to a striking fragrance. More than 500 students and teachers were evacuated. In the first instance, was thought to be a gas leak, it turned out to be rotten fruit.
A tropical fruit, a durian, turned out to be the culprit. The fruit, about the size of a coconut, is known for his sharp, smelly smell.
The fruit originally comes from Southeast-Asia and gives such a strong scent that it is in various public places is prohibited in that region is forbidden.
Durian in the closet
The firemen discovered the rotting durian ended up in a closet in the universiteitbibliotheek of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT). Through the air-conditioning system could the scent spread.