Michael Matthews is the first leader in the 72nd edition of the Tour de Romandie (WorldTour): he was in the Swiss Fribourg surprisingly the fastest in the prologue. Specialists like Tom Bohli, a portrait of primož Roglic and Rohan Dennis stranded on one second, ictor Campenaerts was the first Belgian in fifth place.
The Tour de Romandie started with a short prologue of 4 km by the (narrow) streets of Fribourg.
The Swiss rider Tom Bohli of BMC was a long time in the hot seat with a time of 5’34”07. Rohan Dennis ended up at only 57 hundredths, Victor Campenaerts was a long time third at four seconds. But then had the best is yet to come, and eventually, the rider of Lotto-Soudal (handsome) fifth.
The Australian Michael Matthews etaleerde his top form and popped up as the first under 5’34”, in that he the fastest rider should sit in the hot seat. Favorite Primoz Roglic came a fraction of a second deficit, defending champion Richie Porte was disappointing in its neglect and was only seventeenth.
Tomorrow/Wednesday the riders will go in the first ride in line 166,6 km from Fribourg to Delémont. The Swiss stage race ends Sunday. Last year, the Australian Richie Porte eindlaureaat.
1. Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb) in 5:33
2. Tom Bohli (BMC Racing Team) +1”
3. Portrait Of Primož Roglic (Team LottoNL – Jumbo)
4. Rohan Dennis (BMC Racing Team)
5. Victor Campenaerts (Lotto – Soudal) +5”
6. Geraint Thomas (Team Sky)
7. William Clarke (Team EF Education First – Drapac) +6”
8. Diego Rosa (Team Sky)
9. Pierre Latour (AG2R La Mondiale)
10. Gorka Izagirre (Bahrain – Merida) +9”