During the first training session of the new F1 season 2018 has Lewis Hamilton in Australia, the fastest time ridden. The belgian Stoffel Vandoorne drove the tenth time.
To 2am Belgian time went on, the green light on and went to the first training session for the GP of Australia, and thus the F1-season 2018, really start. Most of the riders went straight on to the track for a so-called ‘installatierondje’, after which they returned to the pitlane.
Where most riders were soon back on the job were limited to Alonso and our compatriot Stoffel Vandoorne in the McLaren to some installatierondjes. After an hour had Alonso and Vandoorne are the only riders without a lap time behind their name. A problem with the exhaust of Alonso, his McLaren meant that Vandoorne as a precaution in the pit box of McLaren remained standing.
During the last half hour, both mclaren’s, however, in action, and that ultimately resulted in an eighth time for Alonso and a tenth time for Stoffel Vandoorne. Despite the problems in an encouraging first session for McLaren
At the top were the two Mercedes cars. Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton showed with 1:24.026 the fastest time, team-mate Valtteri Bottas followed a half a second.
Max Verstappen was behind the two Mercedes drivers ‘best of the rest’, already had the Dutchman been more than seven tenths to admit to Hamilton. After Verstappen followed both ferraris and team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.
1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:24.026 27
2. Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1:24.577 +0.551 29
3. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:24.771 +0.745 26
4. Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:24.875 +0.849 23
5. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:24.995 +0.969 22
6. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:25.063 +1.037 25
7. Romain Grosjean Haas F1 1:25.730 +1.704 24
8. Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:25.896 +1.870 16
9. Carlos Sainz jr Renault 1:25.922 +1.896 23
10. Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1:26.482 +2.456 15
11. Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 1:26.494 +2.468 25
12. Sergey Sirotkin Williams 1:26.536 +2.510 25
13. Nico Hülkenberg Renault 1:26.583 +2.557 25
14. Esteban Ocon Force India 1:26.605 +2.579 30
15. Lance Stroll Down Williams 1:26.636 +Is 2,610 30
16. Sergio Perez Force India 1:26.767 +2.741 26
17. Kevin Magnussen Haas F1 1:27.035 +3.009 13
18. Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso 1:27.745 +3.719 16
19. Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:27.964 +3.938 28
20. Charles Leclerc Sauber 1:28.853 +4.827 28
More F1 news on F1journaal.be:
- Alonso: “Australia is the weakest race for McLaren”
- New start lights at GP of Australia by Halo
- Preview GP of Australia: you need to know
- Where can you get this year the Formula 1 live on tv?
- Ferrari starts new F1 season with more powerful motor: 10 hp extra