During the second day of the first F1 wintertest in Barcelona, Sebastian Vettel in his Ferrari to the fastest time ridden. Our fellow countryman, Stoffel Vandoorne came in today also in action and drove the third time.
Like yesterday it was very cold in Barcelona. It provided little grip on the newly paved circuit, and therefore, there was at times too little action on the track. At a temperature of approximately four or five degrees, the lap times and gripniveaus would not be representative.
Nevertheless, it made the teams the best of it and it was at the end of the day Sebastian Vettel with the fastest time behind his name was. The belgian Stoffel Vandoorne was allowed today for the first time testing with the McLaren MCL33 and with a time of 1:20.325 he drove a third time, exactly one-thousandth faster than Max Verstappen.
That personal besttijd may be with the ‘hypersoft’ drove, the softest of all the available bandencompounds and theoretically therefore also the fastest, encouraging for McLaren and Vandoorne, however, that they are now already more than a second faster than the besttijd on day two last year. In addition, now with the Renault engine in the back of the McLaren also has a lot more rounds passed.
A remarkable image, we got about an hour and a half before the end of the day. Then it started to snow at the Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona, which, of course, for some of the remarkable images created.
Red Bull F1 team boss looked in disbelief to the mechanic in short, he was warm, clothes in a brown coat.
At Force India was back to the car on the track to keep the snow chains are tested. That turned out to be not necessary, however, to have been:
Rash day 2 in Barcelona:
1. S. Vettel Ferrari 01:19.673 98
2. V. Bottas Mercedes 01:19.976 94
3. S. Vandoorne McLaren 01:20.325 37
4. M. Verstappen Red Bull 01:20.326 67
5. C. Sainz Jr. Renault 01:21.212 65
6. P. Gasly Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:21.318 82
7. R. Kubica Williams 01:21.495 48
8. S. Sirotkin Williams 01:21.822 52
9. E. Ocon Force India F1 01:21.841 79
10. C. Leclerc Sauber 01:22.721 81
11. K. Magnussen Haas 01:22.727 36
More F1 news on F1journaal.be:
- Alonso after the first day: “There is a lot of potential in the McLaren-Renault”
- Ricciardo fastest during first day: “Reliability is good”
- VIDEO: Alonso in the gravel during F1 test
- Renault F1 team reacts in a sublime way on the note of fan
- Hamilton: “The new McLaren F1 car looks fantastic”