An up and down year in music leads to mixed results.
Cal’s Top Albums Of The Year
As it turns out, in a year that I was highly anticipating the release of several albums (Polvo, Animal Collective, Marissa Nadler), there are only 5 albums that I feel are worthy of any sort of “best of” recognition.
- Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeaus Phoenix
- Grizzly Bear – Veckatamist
- Camera Obscura – My Maudin Career
- Jim O’Rourke – The Visitor
- Neko Case – Middle Cyclone
Good but not great list:
- Mason Jennings – Blood of Man
- Sunset Rubdown – Dragonslayer
- Doom – Born Like This
- Dodos – Time To Die
- Alec Ounsworth – Mo Beauty
- Polvo – In Prism
- Doves – Kingdom of Rust
Koz’s Top Albums of the Year – For me there were only two albums that were worth a fuck this year. I might as well have took the year off. Maybe I’m just getting old, grumpy and impossible to please. Those two worthwhile albums that came out were:
Phoenix – Wolfgang Amedeaus Phoenix
Grizzly Bear – Veckatamist
Albums not on Koz’s list:
Wilco – s/t
Anthony and the Johnson’s – The Crying Light
The two Love like a Sunset songs (Tracks 4 and 5) on the Phoenix record give it such a great landscape feel. Awesome.